You are not logged in.

falcotron

Professional

• "falcotron" started this thread

Sunday, April 11th 2010, 10:58am

The hauling horizon

Long ago in HW, I realized that there would come a time when hauling would be pointless, because I could make more money just going to work. When that time comes depends on how good you are at hauling, but it's somewhere between level 35 and 70 for just about anyone. And once you get there, the game turns into "Holy Work"--whoever misses the fewest minutes of wages every day is the strongest, so there's very little point to the game.

Level 35-70 in HW is probably equivalent to something like 25-50 here, and at level 36, I'm nowhere near that hauling horizon. In fact, I'm beginning to think it may never come in this game. (I'll do the math below if anyone's interested.)

So, that should keep this game from becoming boring and pointless.

On the other hand, it means that you have to continue to commit time to it forever. In HW, the most time I could possibly spend usefully per day is 205 minutes;* anyone who spends more time is falling behind. But here, the more time you have to spend, the better you'll do, forever.

* 120 minutes of plunders plus 3 SFs, plus two rounds of up to 7 xp hits each. And that's an absolute maximum. Most days I don't have 7 people to hit for xp (and I rarely catch everyone twice), and if I'm able to buy a stat in the middle of plundering it's generally cheaper to finish my plunders unsafe than to go to work 5 or 10 minutes late.
Top accounts for sale: TG1 (or the gear) and AI1
Already sold: HW1/2/3/4 TG1DE

Sunday, April 11th 2010, 1:48pm

The healing in the apartment as a percentage rather that an absolute value should really help push back the horizon. The time sitting around healing the damage from your missions in a fully equipped apt. with power rations should stay above the horizon, even figuring in mine income, pretty much indefinitely. So any cows you hit during that time is really just gravy. But the amount of damage you take from missions and xp hits should still drop in percentage terms, relative to your total LP, at least it seemed to in TAG, so the time to heal, and hence the daily time commitment that could be productive vs. working will probably still get squeezed down at some point.

falcotron

Professional

• "falcotron" started this thread

Sunday, April 11th 2010, 3:15pm

That's the big question. Since mission damage and xp-hit damage seem to rise linearly with level,* while healing rises quadratically with level, eventually, those curves have to cross.

But eventually can be a long time.

Since pets were added to TG, plunder damage has come way down, to the point where level 71 is probably early enough to not worry about healing between plunders, probably even earlier than that. So let's look at xp hits instead for the moment.

At level 71, my xp hits cost a little less in terms of minutes of healing than at level 66. In fact, I have records going back a long time, and, as expected, the number of minutes of healing per xp hit has been gradually going down, in both worlds. But it's very gradual. As in, it should still be well over 10 minutes even at level 100, which is somewhere on the order of 2 years away in TG1, and 3 years away in AI1.

In Tagoria, before pets, plunders were almost as costly as xp hits. And, while that's no longer true over there with the pets, the same seems to be true here.

Which means that as long as you're doing no more than 2-3 cow hits per xp hit and AP, you won't be wasting any of your free healing, for the next 2-3 years. If you consider 12 APs and 5 xp hits per day, we're talking about 3-4 hours/day.

So, the difference between the three games is:
  • In HW, once wages outstrip what you can haul, stop hauling.**
  • In TG, once wages outstrip what you can haul, cut back to 30 minutes/day of hauling (at which point you might as well just stop).
  • In AI, once wages outstrip what you can haul, cut back to 3-1/2 hours/day of hauling (which, for almost everyone, means don't cut back at all).

* It's probably linear with stats and/or HP, which is slightly above linear with level, but close enough.

** Of course it's still worth hitting cows for your SFs, as long as you can manage that without wasting any extra time finding cows--a few long-lasting permacows and/or a good order, especially one full of lower-levels who are still hauling, might be all you need. But either way, the thrill of the hunt is gone. And really, the amount of extra gold you'll make over someone who just does random SFs is so small compared to your daily income that it's not a huge deal anyway.
Top accounts for sale: TG1 (or the gear) and AI1
Already sold: HW1/2/3/4 TG1DE

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "falcotron" (Apr 14th 2010, 7:07am)

Wednesday, April 14th 2010, 2:52am

interesting