You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to A.I. War. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

falcotron

Professional

• "falcotron" started this thread

Wednesday, January 6th 2010, 3:04am

Separate stat prices are better

In Holy War, each stat's cost is separate. For example, if you have 230 DEF and 250 STA, it costs 52900gp to add a point of DEF, but 56644gp to add a point of STA.

In Tagoria and AI War, skill points have a flat cost, and can be applied to any stat. So, if you have 526 STR and 76 ACC, it costs the same 42849as to increase either one.

At first, I thought this was a fair change--it makes the game a bit harder (all those days when you end up with 41000as and have to stick around to sell healies or work for another hour...), but also more strategic. But now I think I was wrong. It makes the game harder in a way that's purely "pain in the neck" difficulty rather than challenge, and it's actually less strategic.

In other words, HW is closer to the "easy to learn, hard to master" ideal--doing reasonably well is simpler, but if you play smart you can get a little edge over other people.

In TG, if a point of STR would add 3x as much average damage as a point of ACC, I buy the STR, no question, no thought involved.

In HW, if I want to have a significant spread in my stats, there's a cost to it, and I have to think about it every day. When I have enough gold for a point of STA, but I really wanted to increase my cheaper ATT, do I pick the short-term benefit of my ideal balance, or the long-term benefit of not wasting excess gold in the elixir market?

So, how would a hybrid system work?
  • The free skill points for each level and quarter-level would still be freely distributable. Of course you'd always want to put these in your most expensive stat (or maybe occasionally a few in your #2 stat).
  • Bonuses from bling, bling enchantments, combat strategy, and runes would work as they do today.
  • Stats bought for amber would depend on how many of that stat you'd already bought for amber.
  • The 30-diamond redistribution option would get complicated. I guess it would have to return all your free skill points to a pool, and return all your paid stats to some kind of pool or credit worth the appropriate amount of amber, but you could only use it on stats. (And maybe any unused credit disappears at the end of the day.)
I think this would make things more interesting. If each point of STR cost 2x as much as AGI, and you had 3 STR runes and 5 AGI, it might be worth the hassle of trying to swap 5 runes instead of 3, because you could make up those 5 AGI more cheaply than 3 STR in purchased stats. It might even be worth paying for a new piece of bling that was only 2 more STR, because the fact that you could then buy cheaper stats instead of STR might make up the difference.

Anyway, because AIW encourages much more balanced stats than Tagoria (or even HW), it wouldn't be as dramatic a change here, but I think it would still make the game better. You'd still have the tension between going further out of balance vs. not wasting credits in meds--and you might want to use artifacts on your cheaper stats to make up for that. (But then there's the whole issue of whether robots are calculated against your base stats, total stats, or somewhere in between....)

It's probably way too late to make this kind of change in Tagoria, and maybe even in AIW, but maybe for game #4....
Top accounts for sale: TG1 (or the gear) and AI1
Already sold: HW1/2/3/4 TG1DE

Thursday, January 7th 2010, 7:17am

In a lot of ways I agree with you, falcotron. At the very least, having separate prices for each stat would spare a lot of the noobs from the fatal mistake of dumping all of their credits and starting stat points into a single stat or into just two stats while the rest all sit at 1, and then complaining in the SB that they are utterly unable to win a fight or a mission. In a game where people should want balanced stats, forcing people to pay more to jack up one stat extra high creates an economic incentive to stay balanced.

Of course, there is already the economic incentive of winning more missions when one has balanced stats, but people don't always look ahead far enough or read the Help pages to realize this. Having an economic incentive to keep stats balanced right there on the skill properties page gives new players a much easier learning curve at the very start.

falcotron

Professional

• "falcotron" started this thread

Thursday, January 7th 2010, 8:31am

Good point--but I see noobs in HW W1 asking "why i loose al my fite" and then you look and their stats are 8-1-1-1-1. Some people are just born to be noobs, I guess. :)

Fortunately, in HW, they can easily correct that by doing 5 missions and putting the cash into the other 4 stats. In TG and AIW, they'll lose all their missions, too, and have no cash to spend. I guess 4 losses gets you to level 2, so at least that's 10 free stat points....
Top accounts for sale: TG1 (or the gear) and AI1
Already sold: HW1/2/3/4 TG1DE